Tuesday, September 29, 2009

In Class, being entertained by what should not be very entertaining

I'm in class, perfecting the art of tuning things out.

I'm so entertained by the occasional word I catch from the student presenters.

microbes --> mico bobs
fluctuations --> fuk u asians
vegetarian --> veget alien
formaldehyde makes you disease? dizzy? --> formel deehai makes you dieselless

So I acknowledge the fact that I'm being mean, laughing condescendingly down at the poor HKers who are already trying their hardest to learn the language, but it goes to show exactly how bored I am in class, being so readily entertained by the smallest of things.

There's one white guy in the class; everyone expects him to be the most fluent. Actually, he came from Canada. From Quebec. "Bonjour? Ca va bien? Merci? J'adore la mal anglais? " were the meagre French I still remember and once threw at him. "Why are you here?" I asked him (nicely), to which he confidently answered "Why not?" Well, good for him. It's not easy not knowing chinese and being a big white guy sticking out like a sore thumb in HK. I, on the other hand, look so local I often get asked for directions. And I do mean often, like over what is statistically reasonable. We all know I'm probably the worse person to ask. (recalls the many hours of getting lost on the world map in FF)

People are staring and wondering what is up with that girl with the laptop typing fast and loud and laughing to herself, clearly not paying attention....

My group is up.

We're presenting phytoremediation (an interesting topic actually) about using plants to suck up contaminants from the soil so they don't end up in our water, and subsequently, our babies, who will grow up with genetic disorders.

The class looked at me glassy-eyed. It was like talking to a bunch of dolls. The prof seemed fascinated by our powerpoint slides, so fixated on them that he did not once look at me speaking, and trying damned hard to make eye contact, as all good presenters do (theoretically).

No matter, not important.

What's important is this cute seal, called "ODaisy", painstakenly named by me and my bf. (yeah I'm aware that it's not grammatically correct but I think it sounds better that way)



OH, this is me but it looks NOTHING like me. It's the sunglasses.


O--O

11 comments:

  1. Hey Cherry! I really enjoy reading your blogs. Stuff you wrote is so funny and entertaining lol! Oh btw nice picture! You changed your hair style? --Joyce~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and your presentation on phytoremediation reminds me of tox class! I miss undergrad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe, thanks Joyce! ^__^

    Actually I didn't change my hairstyle... just curled it that one day I took the picture.

    Undergrad was definitely a unique experience that I'll never forget.

    Take care and talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ZOMG i totally didn't recognize u in that picture, i was wondering who that was until I saw ur caption!

    ur class sounds hilarious. boring...but hilarious! haha and the snake! ikea?

    ReplyDelete
  5. lololll that seems like a fun class (:
    and you curled your hair! haha i remember you tried to when you were here.. oh those days <3
    anddddddd that is a really cute seal! hahah we never got around to learning how to make those cute things ):
    keep updating (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. nanting: I look soo strange in that pic, I just cracked up at myself after I took it.

    Vincci: ^__^ yeah, but I didn't do as good a job as when Joyce did it for me. Thanks for the complement on the seal! I'll catch up with you later on msn! : D

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I was like omg, what did she do to her hair? I approve of the colour but not the curls. Great job with daisy! This white guy in your class intrigues me. Is he getting a lot of attention from the girls by virtue of his race?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually mihan... I didn't colour my hair. Still as black as ever.

    No, people are scared to talk to him cuz they don't want to use english.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really?! It must be the sunlight giving it a brown tinge. I like the effect!

    Aww... poor guy. I hope he learns some Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those glasses do change how you look. I knew glasses could make an obvious change at times of a person's appearance, but that just makes you look like a completely different person :P Maybe you should try using that in some way or form prank or otherwise :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. cher its the haircut and the glasses together. you are SO fob. hahah <3

    i'm glad you're enjoying your classes. you seem a lot happier after you've quit that silly job of yours. now you can find what you're looking for! there's no time limit.. so maybe you could just enjoy the moment and resume later.

    i'm happy that you're happy =)
    -kar

    ReplyDelete