Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gluttony

Dim sum stacked sky high. My colleagues have a voracious appetite...
The eye drops after surgery.
From my boyfriend for vday : D
These are made out of soy powder. It's supposed to be 'healthy', but I doubt it... it's filling and tastes good though.
Cover of the packaging.
For my colleague, who flew off, and is now preparing to get married in India.
Gave this one to my boss.
More vday presents ^o^

Vday was very rainy and kind of cold, so our prior plans to spending the day walking around in the flower garden outside of disneyland was abandoned for spending the day at ocean park. It was on a whim. I don't see the logic in it either. However, it was fun and romantic, which is what's important.

As many of you know, I paid the pretty cheap fee to take tai chi lessons during lunch hour at my workplace, and have been attending since November last year.

One seemingly innocuous afternoon, after downing a sandwich in 10 minutes flat, I headed to my tai chi class a little late. As I scanned the room for a place to stand, I saw my colleague who face-vaulted, super shocked to see me (ie look like this o_O??!) and behind her, saw my boss, who made the exact same expression (O__o?!?!?!!). I felt like this (*o* whyyyyy!!!!?!!?) but looked like this ^_^ as I found a spot to do soothing breathing exercises, a bit haggardly.

That was last week.

Today, I have a headache. I also do not want to see boss. Today also happens to be tai chi day. And he joined into MY class, in the middle of it, just RANDOMLY (and said 'they should have lessons for beginners!').

As such, I have decided to hide out in the library to read CS Lewis' Screwtape Letters. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. In addition to being highly amusing and easy to digest (each letter is short and to the point, with the most eloquent writing style), it really makes you think of how the devil slowly and obscurely leads people to hate each other, to engage in seemingly innocent little sins, be 'comfortably' away from those who need help, to be lost in the 'realities' of life that we lose sight of what's really important.

Today I reflect on yet another sin (well, in the 'catholic' sense that there are 7 deadly sins), 'gluttony'.

Gluttony, derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, or intoxicants to the point of waste.

Thank you wikipedia. When I read this, I first think of the high obesity rate in the world. I think of high fructose corn syrup and other really nasty things the industry comes up with. I think of the high rates of heart attacks and strokes in developed countries.

After awhile I think of immaturity. I wonder why we like to consume so much (or expensive luxurious food-also a form of gluttony)? I think it's biological to want to eat more or eat luxuriously (store up more fat = more energy = better survival), and we just lack self control to control ourselves or think of others. Eating is a good and normal activity of life, but like with all pleasures, if we abuse and pervert it, it becomes detrimental to ourselves and to others around us.

I took a brain test, and I'm frontal right! What does that mean? "harmonizing, rhythmical, supportive, sentimental, sympathetic" okay perhaps... but also apparently can't communicate well with numbers or words and instead resorts to linear abstractions. ?_?

1 comment:

  1. holy crap ur getting really really good at the amigurumi, i love that pig!!

    ReplyDelete