The situation during rush hour at MTR interchange stations can be kind of scary. As I mentioned previously, there are people with batons to control traffic.
Why do people run? If you're at the front of the line, you can get into the trunk of a compartment and not have to get sardined and smothered to death near the doors, often stranded in a sea of flesh without nearby metal to hang on to. (Side note: If you're short, your face is likely at someone's armpit level and their arm is likely raised. This is another good reason why you should wear heels in HK. The air is fresher at higher altitudes.)
BUT, it's either you run like mad or you walk at normal speeds. The next train arrives in a minute so there's no point in squishing yourself in. Just wait patiently in line, and you will end up behind the yellow line breathing fresh air and watching the "subway" fill itself up with stuffing (bad pun intended).
Regarding work so far... it's been... boring. This reminds me of my 'yo woman' days, which lasted for almost 2 months before things picked up and my job actually got challenging and busy. Things that drive me crazy are boredom and uselessness. I'd rather be working my ass off around the clock than be bored.
BUT! I keep reminding myself to be patient for chances to prove myself, which should be coming soon as my seminar proposal is being reviewed. I also remind myself to be grateful to even get a job in this economy--at least I have an income to finance myself through school. And that some people are working hard sweeping the street, and earning meager income to support their family, whereas I'm blessed enough to be sitting comfortably in an air conditioned office with unlimited horlicks and ovaltine (analogous to tea and coffee in canada), and a computer. So I really don't have any right to complain or even be unhappy.
On a more positive note, my parents have found a suitable place! Well, actually, it's super super far from my workplace, but it's not like I'll be working there forever. (If it fits, I'll turn full time. If not, it can simply be a summer job to gain some HK experience.) I think we're moving in in 2 months. I'm very excited to get my piano and boxes of stuff from Canada!
wow huge developments!
ReplyDeletework always starts off slow , keep up ur patience, and it'll pay off soon!
i've always heard about horlicks and ovaltine, what is it exactly? it sounds so strange...ok i think ovaltine is like a powder u add, and u get a coffee flavoured thing...?
oh, question for u: what do u recommend for ear training? i want to improve my pitch recognition, any tips?? Thanks!
thanks for your encouragement...
ReplyDeletehorlicks and ovaltine are amazing drinks! both are typically made from powder and contains malt. ovaltine also contains whey and tastes chocolate-ish, wheras horlicks tastes milky.
there's also an electrolyte drink here called poccari sweat, and for some reason is very popular even though it tastes like stale water.
ear training. there's always the RCM types, which I think can be helpful but kinda hard to do alone. some ideas of my own are: listening to songs and identifying the key the song is in, and then test to see if you're right on the piano or check a guitar tab. you can also practice tuning your guitar to a piano (without using a tuner). record urself singing to a karaoke version of a song, and then compare to the original.
how come you'd like to improve your pitch recognition?
You've just started so I'm sure the work will pick up soon. Any eye-candy in the office? Also, I want details on all the drama!
ReplyDeleteJames says: You've relocated AGAIN? MY god CHERRRRY. you unstable rabbit of hongkong.
ReplyDeleteMy school year is almost over - just two more weeks of absolute torture.