They asked a lot about my past, which shouldn't be surprising considering behavioural interviews are now the norm, but I have a horrible memory regarding my own life and I don't think I took enough time reviewing it beforehand. I can remember facts very well, but when it comes to myself, I don't remember what I ate last night or what time I got let off in high school. In fact, I often read with amazement at my own old journal entries, as if the events happened to another person. It was hard dredging up my past as ridiculous as that sounds. Sure, I have those moments where everything I've regretted doing suddenly floods into my consciousness in rapid succession like flashbacks in a movie, but generally, my decisions and outlook in life is based on the future. Anyway, back to the topic of interviews. I'm sure I *looked* like a local--I'm chinesey enough in that aspect although I might have been slightly larger than the average female here.
I sounded energetic and excited, because I really wanted the job. I smiled a lot throughout too and looked calm and confident. But the interviewers were both relaxed to the point of lethargy and talked about half my speed. I was afraid I wasn't clicking. When I walked out of that interview, questions flashed through my head and I could think of much better answers, in better Chinese. "What is your long term goal?" Because it was a position within a super small healthcare firm, I decided not to disclose my desire to go into management (and aim for an MBA) or desire to enter the food, pharmaceutical, biotech, or environmental industries. I stuck to healthcare and project work. I didn't mention my 10 year long term goal of entering into Administrative Service because I wanted to serve the public once my Chinese is good enough. Basically I sounded like someone who didn't know where I was going and had no goals.
I didn't even talk about my personality and track record with adapting to change when they asked me if I was scared of working in HK as I had no experience. I think I gave some sort of lameass answer, like "No, I'm not worried. I just need to plan for things in advance" or something incoherent and unthoughtful like that.
By bedtime, my brain was a symphony of interview-answer cacophony.
Fortunately, I can trust my poor memory that within a week, I would have forgotten about this. It would still linger around at the back of my mind, but it would be passive and no longer an issue. Hopefully.
Also, I was desperate for an agenda. 2 weeks without in agenda in Hong Kong was brutal. I felt like I was about 30% less efficient as a person. Same with email. If I don't get to check it, I also itch like a cigarette-addict for his nicotine.
On a bright note (pun intended)...
It's getting sunny and everyone is out with their UV Umbrellas.

And drying their towels and linens in public
No comments:
Post a Comment