Sunday, May 24, 2009

Finding my way back home

Some essentials to carry around in HK:

- octopus card (debit card to all means of transportation except for taxis. for waterloo-ers, think watcard)
- cash
- mobile phone
- oil blotting paper - never been compelled to buy in Canada. Now it's a necessity.
- tissue - you never know when you're stuck in a stall without TP
- pen + agenda - again, I can't live a productive life without this
- umbrella

One night, I didn't have cash, and it was late at night! But let's back up a bit.

After work, I went out with a friend who was staying in HK for the summer. We ate super yummy wonton noodles at a place that was super difficult to get to (so difficult that I don't remember the name anymore). But with the help of three random strangers, I finally found my way to this huge outdoor escalator lined end to end.

We had new york cheesecake and cappuccino at lan gwai fong (where expats hang out a lot), then spent the rest of the night at the arcade, hurting our hands on Bishi Bash and the drum equivalent of DDR. I eventually ran out of cash but of course, that's not a problem, because there's the octopus card! (or so I thought)

At 12:10 am, I found the bus stop. After 10 minutes, I read the info on the bus stand and realized that

1) I was standing on the wrong side of the road, and
2) my bus doesn't run after 12:30 am
3) my phone was low on batteries

I felt so helpless. It was raining too...

I ended up popping back into the subway and getting my dad to pay for the taxi when I arrived at the door.

Moral of the story. Never leave home without adequate cash. And, even if it's HK, transportation isn't 24/7.

Picture-roll of the week:
Sorry for the fuzziness, but it was a little difficult to take this with so many people around. What you see is a masked person holding a red baton. This person's job is basically nudging people into the subway.


Japanese curry at the food court at Olympic station, where I also watched a preview of Mr HK, which was a bit disappointing. What I saw were not particularly fine specimens of the male species.


The octopus is telling you to hold the handrail when going down the stairs on the bus.


Sushi bobble head and a really RED hello kitty. The box says something along the lines of "hello kitty in love".


My newest creation, a super fat rabbit I named Panthalassa, for my manager's birthday! (of course, it's much cuter in real life) The body is recycled off of a moogle-in-process, cuz I was too lazy to crochet a new ball.

3 comments:

  1. lawl i love the octopus card, so cute!! and looks like ur amigurumi is going well

    btw have u bought lots of clothes?? what's the newest trend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, the octo card is awesome!

    I wonder how much those nudging dudes get paid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHAHAHAH those ppl with the batons. ive seen them before. kekekek
    that bunny looks so cute~ thats either the mouth or the nose thats an X, but definitely cute (:
    and youre lucky that HK transportation isnt super expensive like here >.> :D

    ReplyDelete